You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience and security.
Recipe Step by Step
140g dark brown sugar
4g baking soda
4g baking powder
82.5g vegetable oil
2 eggs, whole
11.5g coffee extract
*For plated dinner do larger batch to have cake pieces to pull apart and use on plate
1 Full Sheet, 1100g
Combine the flour, sugar, dark brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cocoa powder. Stir until homogenous.
Combine oil, trablit, milk and eggs.
Place the wet ingredients in the bowl of a mixer.
Add the dry ingredients to the bowl and mix on low speed for 1 minute.
Take a very flat sheet tray. Line it with a silpat and spray lightly with pan coating spray. Place 1100g of cake batter in the middle of the tray and spread evenly with an offset spatula.
Bake at 350f for 5 minutes. Rotate and bake for an additional 3 minutes.
Remove from the oven, place on the speed rack to cool
MILK CHOCOLATE HAZELNUT 35% GIANDUJA MOUSSE:
1500g melted Valrhona 35% hazelnut gianduja
1000g heavy cream 1
240g hazelnut paste
1500g whipped cream
Yield 2 layers of mousse- Weigh each layer to 1500g
Bloom the gelatin in ice water until it is pliable and soft. Remove it from the water and wring out the excess moisture.
Heat the cream #1 over medium heat until it starts to steam.
Melt the chocolate over a double boiler.
Pour the cream #1 over the melted chocolate and blend until emulsified.
Add the hazelnut paste and bloomed gelatin.
Emulsify with an immersion blender.
Fold in whipped cream
1000g Apricot Puree
12g NH Pectin
*Substitutes great with passionfruit*
1 full sheet
Combine sugar and pectin
Heat puree, trimoline and glucose
Stream in pectin/sugar mixture, whisking constantly
Cook until desired thickness- let boil 2-3 minutes
Pour on top of Valrhona 35% Gianduja mousse layer.
2 Quarts Cream
1 Tbl Vanilla Norohy Paste
200g 10x confectioners’ sugar
18g Kosher Salt
3 quarts of salted whipped cream
Combine and whip all ingredients to soft/medium peaks
Assembly and finishing
CAKE BUILDING PROCEDURE:
- Spread feuilletine layer on silpat and place from on top
- Pour first 1500g of 35% Gianduja chocolate mousse on top of feuilletine layer.
- Put cake layer on top of that
- Pour next 1500g layer of 35% Gianduja chocolate mousse.
- Freeze/ Let set up
- Top with Apricot Glaze
- Freeze until hardened
- Remove cake from freezer, take off sheet pan. Remove silpat from bottom and place on cutting board.
- Let sit out until cuttable but not soft.
- Cut pieces 4” by 1” for plated dinner/lunch. Can do 1.5” by 1.5” for buffets etc.
CAKE PLATING PROCEDURE: (*For plated dinner)
- Place cake bar on center of plate
- On top of cake do a medium size quenelle of salted whip. Place on center of cake top, lay down on angle.
- Pipe 5 kisses of salted whip to the right of the cake bar
- Rip and place 3 “rustic” pieces of chocolate cake **. One to the left of cake, one on first whip kiss and one halfway back on the other whip kisses.
- Cut up thin slices of dried apricot and place on every other whip kiss.
- Use a peeler and slowly but firmly peel a curl from your Valrhona gianduja block and wrap to look like a rose.
- Place the curl behind the chocolate piece to the left.
- Can add an apricot sauce, more cake, chocolate pearls etc. to elevate further.
Take 1000g Jivara Chocolate, 100g Cocoa Butter , 80g Nibs and melt together.
Dip your 1.5 “ by 1.5” pieces
Top with rosette of salted whip, thin slice of dried apricot, cake crumbles and a small gianduja curl.