You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience and security.
Recipe Step by Step
125g European-style butter
250g Plain flour
- Preparing the butter: flatten the butter using a rolling pin and make a 9×25cm rectangle using baking paper. Store in the refrigerator for an hour.
- Making the détrempe dough: with your hands, knead* all the ingredients together. Shape them into a ball, cover with film and leave to stand in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Folding the pastry*: create a 20×25cm rectangle with the détrempe dough. Place the butter in the middle of the rectangle and fold the détrempe dough over it to enclose the butter
- Carry out a single turn: roll out the dough into a rectangle, fold the upper third back into the middle and the lower third over the first fold. Leave to sit in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Fold again. Leave to sit in the refrigerator for 2 hours. Follow the same steps, then leave to sit in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Finish with a book turn: roll out the dough into a rectangle again, fold the upper quarter into the middle and do the same with the lower quarter. Fold the whole of the dough in half and leave to stand in the refrigerator before use.
- Roll the puff pastry out so it is 2mm thick, leave in the refrigerator for 1 hour before cutting out a 10×25cm rectangle. Bake the rectangle at 356°F (180°C) in a fan oven for 35 minutes, making sure to flatten it every 10 minutes using a baking tray.
*Knead: mix by pressing with the palms of your hands
*Folding: this technique involves folding the dough and the butter into each other to create puff pastry.
STRAWBERRY INSPIRATION CRÉMEUX
50g Strawberry purée
3g Glucose syrup
2g gelatin powder
10g cold water
75g STRAWBERRY INSPIRATION
85g cold heavy cream 36%
- Mix the strawberry purée and glucose and heat them to approx. 176°F (80°C). Add the rehydrated gelatine.
- Gradually pour onto the melted STRAWBERRY INSPIRATION. Mix using a hand blender to make a perfect emulsion.
- Add the cold whipping cream and mix again using a hand blender. Cover the surface with plastic wrap and leave to set in the refrigerator overnight.
IVOIRE 35% & VANILLA WHIPPED GANACHE
60g heavy cream 36%
5g acacia honey
1/2 Norohy vanilla bean
85g Ivoire 35% chocolate
150g cold heavy cream 36%
- Heat the 60g of cream with the honey and vanilla seeds.
- Combine with the melted IVOIRE 35% in three batches while mixing with a spatula. Add all the 150g chilled whipping cream in one go and finish off the emulsion using a hand blender.
- Cover the surface with plastic wrap and leave to set in the refrigerator overnight.
80g Whole milk
2g Fine salt
75g Unsalted butter
90g Plain flour
3ea Eggs (approx.)
2g Vanilla powder*
- Bring the milk, water, butter, sugar, salt and vanilla powder to the boil. Remove from the heat, add the flour and stir
- Put the pan back on the heat and use a spatula to help evaporate any liquid off the dough until it pulls away from the sides.
- Put the dough in a food processor with the paddle attachment to finish drying out and leave to cool.
- Beat the eggs and add them one by one to the dough. The dough is ready when it has a ribbon-like, glossy texture.
- Using a piping bag with a plain round 10mm nozzle, add 2.5cm-diameter choux buns and place a frozen crunchy disc on each bun.
- Bake in a fan-assisted oven at 356°F (180°C) for approx. 20 minutes. Lower the temperature to 338°F (170°C) in a fan-assisted oven for 5 minutes to allow the choux buns to finish drying.
- *The vanilla powder is made by scraping the beans, drying them in the oven for 2 hours at 356°F (180°C) and then blending.
TEMPERING THE CHOUX BUN GLAZE:
- Melt two-thirds of the total quantity of couverture in either a bain-marie or microwave. Heat to 113-112°F (45-50°C).
- Once these temperatures have been reached, add the remaining third of unmelted and preferably chopped INSPIRATION FRAISE. Mix by hand, then using a hand blender. Be careful not to incorporate any air bubbles.
- Check the temperature of the chocolate - it should be 88-89°F (31-32°C).
- The chocolate is now tempered. Make sure you keep the chocolate at this temperature while you work with it. If you need to, use a hairdryer to reheat its surface.
CRISP, CRUNCHY DISC
75g Unsalted butter
90g Turbinado sugar
90g Plain flour
- Mix the creamed butter with all the other ingredients until a homogeneous ball forms.
- Spread out between two sheets of plastic wrap or baking paper. Gently remove the top sheet, then cut out discs with a diameter of 3cm.
- Put the sheet back on top and freeze overnight.
Assembly and finishing
- Cleanly cut the puff pastry using a serrated knife. Garnish the choux buns with STRAWBERRY INSPIRATION crémeux then coat them with some tempered STRAWBERRY INSPIRATION.
- Place the iced choux buns in the 4.5cm half-sphere silicon moulds for a lovely smooth finish.
- Pipe dashes of STRAWBERRY INSPIRATION crémeux using a piping bag without a nozzle, to attach the choux buns to half of the pastry
- Whisk the IVOIRE 35% vanilla whipped ganache and pipe using a piping bag with a 20mm Saint Honoré nozzle. Pipe onto the other side of the pastry, using an irregular pattern.
- Decorate with some strawberry quarters.